Hello, I have a first-generation Fire TV. Yesterday the remote stopped working. We replaced the batteries with two brand new batteries, and the batteries quickly started to heat up. Hot to the touch. Tried another new pair of batteries (standard Energizer batteries...not rechargeable...typical batteries), and again they heat up. And the remote doesn’t work while the batteries are in there heating up.
This sounds dangerous, so I’m going to stop using the remote, and order a replacement if I can. But I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience and, if so, found a solution?
Are you using batteries from the same package? If so, it may have been a bad batch, and you shouldn't use any more batteries from that package.
If not, then, yes, it seems your remote is defective and you did the right thing to stop using it (best not to risk burning down your house).
I haven't really seen any posts in the forum re Fire TV remotes overheating, and it's not a known issue from Amazon to the point where they are being recalled, or anything (Amazon may or may not have reports of a bad remote here or there, but, that doesn't make it a "known issue"). As with any device, there are and will be the one-off, bad apple of the batch, which is probably what is happening here (if it's not the batteries).
ETA: Double check that you are putting the batteries in correctly, with the plus/minus for each battery being placed to the right connection.
Thanks for the reply CatChat. And yes, checked all the obvious things...brand new batteries, both the same type, oriented correctly. I checked the connectors in the remote to see if there were any visible signs of problems. Nothing. Visual inspection of the remote and the batteries suggests that everything is ok.
Given that this is a 1st-gen device, I’m way past the warranty period, so I guess I’ll either replace the remote or, for a few dollars more, upgrade to the latest fire tv.
I'd guess there's a short somewhere in the remote as remotes just don't do the kind of things that could cause them to heat up normally let alone get really hot. Or compnent has gone badly out of spec and its resistance has gone way up. A bad solder joint can do this too.
NOTE: I do NOT speak for or represent Amazon in any fashion. This is a customer to customer forum.
Disclaimer: I have examined any sites I provide links for and have determined them to be safe but I make no promises about safety, content, ads served or anything that might make you clutch your pearls in horror. Use discretion clicking on links provided by total strangers such as myself.
Turns out I had the identical thing recently happen to me with my first-generation Fire TV. Remote stopped working, replaced batteries and the remote still doesn't work but it does a fine job as a mini-heater in no time! This is repeatable with any set of newly installed batteries. I'm tempted to let it be to see if it can start on fire. That would be great branding for a FIRETV.
No protector on mine. Tried several sets of new alkaline batteries. The remote originally failed without warning and when the batteries were first replaced was when the remote started heating up dramatically. The remote only starts heating up when the FireTV is turned on and I assume trying to pair, simply putting in batteries doesn't cause it. The device itself works fine using my phone's remote control app, though that is not a solution I'm comfortable using.
I know the remote control is the weak point on these devices but turning into a space heater sure wasn't what I was expecting.