I hope someone in the community has faced and solved the problem with my tablet. It is a series 5, 7 inch Fire that I have had for 2 years. Behavior changed 2-3 months ago. Previously, once it was downloaded, I could start up the tablet and continue reading a book from where I left off - without wifi. Now, about 25% of the time, I will run into 1 of 3 (or more) problems. The other 75% of the time, it works like it previously always did.
Problem 1. Sometimes it will say that the book is "protected by GHP" (I made that acronym up, do not remember what it says). It says that to continue with the book, I need to remove and reload it. That does work
Problem 2. Sometimes it will open the book but start at page 1. Not a major problem - it knows where I left off and allows me to tell it to go to where I left off.
Problem 3. Sometimes it will tell me that I am not connected to wifi. That is often true -- it became habit not to be connected when the book was previously loaded since it was not previously necessary. I get wifi connected (verified by using its own browser to load a webpage) but it continues to insist it is not connected when I repeat the request to open the book. The only way around this problem I have found is to "remove from device" and reload the book. That seems to end the "not connected" problem.
Has there been an upgrade that causes these variations in behavior for some (hopefully) good reason? Is there a procedure that I need to perform to return to my book without any of these hassles?